Home > Overseas Licence Conversions

Overseas Licence Conversions

For anybody looking at converting their overseas licence to an Australian licence, we can assist to update your knowledge and driving skills for Australian roads. This includes the sequences and road rules required to pass a VORT Test, as well as any safe driving strategies to keep you safe on the road.

If you become a permanent resident of South Australia, you must get your South Australian driver’s licence within ninety days.Upon passing a licence theory test at a Service SA, you will be issued with a ‘Temporary Driver’s Permit’ or learner licence. This permit will direct you to pass a VORT test to enable you to convert your licence to an Australian one.

You are also required to carry photographic identification at all times while driving, including during the practical driving test, this could be your passport or Australian proof of age card.

Your First Lesson – What to Bring?

For your driving lesson you should bring;

  1. Your International driver’s licence – including translation (if required) OR Your ‘Temporary Driver’s Permit’ – the A4 piece of paper you received when you passed the theory test in a Service SA.
  2. Passport
  3. Suitable driving shoes – NOT thongs, crocs or high heels – typically shoes that are enclosed and don’t fall off when you walk are suitable; and
  4. Lesson fee – cash is the easiest form of payment, but if you can’t arrange this then we do have other options. Just ask us prior to your lesson.

Any questions you have about your driving lesson your instructor will be happy to answer during your first lesson.

Permanent Residents

Overseas drivers who become permanent residents of South Australia must surrender their overseas licence and obtain a South Australian driver’s licence within ninety days.

Temporary Visitors

Temporary visitors, students and workers and those who are working in South Australia on current temporary Visas are permitted to drive with an overseas licence as stated below only while that licence is current. If that licence expires, you are required to obtain a South Australian licence.